2 days ago I took a bit of a walk up the coast in search of some new ground to fish. Although I only really found one suitable mark, a bass of probably a pound and a half was kind enough to take a liking for a Lucky Craft Flash Minnow (below) which it grabbed right at my feet! Kind of hammered home the point that you really do need to fish lures right in to the last foot of available water. I do love these lures. This lure, in this pattern caught me more fish last year than any other. Under the water it looks a lot like a sandeel and you can do so much with it! It may not quite yet be the time of year for sandeel imitations, but this one's all about the confidence for me at the moment - while fish are still thin on the ground.

I walked miles in total but it was nice to get one on the board at last. I also lost another on a Slug-go but it did feel smaller and was only on for a few seconds. Still, it's given me another fishable spot within walking distance. Kind of reminds me how lucky I am to live right by the sea. I doubt I'd fish even a tenth as regularly as I do now if I had to drive out and park up. As I type I'm supposed to be working but the fact is I'm about to pick up a rod and head out the door for another go!
I also ventured out yesterday on what I can only describe now as a crazy, crazy, crazy mission. Have you ever found yourself climbing down sheer rock faces, holding your rod between your teeth?! It's VERY dodgy I can tell you! Know your limits! Won't be doing that again. The water I found at the bottom wasn't even fishable! As a result my legs today are kiiiiiiiiilling me but I'm hopefully going to walk of the strain with a slightly easier session today. On the plus side, I did get to see a lot of the other marks around here in more detail. Super low spring tides lately have uncovered a lot of ground that I usually don't quite get to see.
I eventually ended up walking back and fishing the rip out from the beach, but to no avail. Had it been summer I'd have been supremely confident of catching though. Conditions really were perfect. Water clarity, tides, the current and rock structure. Lures I tried were working well. Just the bass failed to show.
Low tide's at 3; a fairly low spring so I'll be heading out for that. I don't usually rate my chances of catching in the middle of the day but just because I can I'm keen to have a little go. It's a shame the tides are weakening actually as in a few days conditions could well be perfect!
Anyway, I'm outta here. If I manage to catch today, no doubt I'll be back later.

No comments:
Post a Comment